Friday 5 October 2012

Rochester, Heathcliff, Darcy.....Oh No!

Oliver as Darcy
dear readers,

Women for decades have swooned over Rochester, Heathcliff and Darcy and to be quite honest I just don't get it, I mean I do, but not really.  I get the hot manly brooding and the crisp use of the English language.  
Wells as Rochester
(Oh, how the words thy and hither make me go weak in the knees).  Now I may lose some readers after this post but come on aren't these dudes a bit jerky??? (Asshole, sounded too harsh).


Olivier as Heathcliffe
Imagine your sister tells you about this handsome guy who is quiet unless he is putting someone in their place, calls her annoying but he's still hot for her and instead of saying, "I love you" he tells her he's really dating someone else and when things don't go his way he vanishes leaving behind some cryptic eff-you letter.
Quite frankly I think Heathcliff sounds like a verbally abusive stalker, Rochester has a disturbing thing for young women and Darcy (for the sake of my safety I take the fifth). What is even worse are the women you love these men.  Catherine who only wants Heathcliff because he is off limits and plays hard to get but yet in her face when she plays hard to get.  Jane, well the poor gal didn't even have chance after the horrid aunt and cousins.  Any touch of warmth seems to make her giddy with giving affection back.  With a mother like Mrs. Bennett seriously I would marry the first chap that asked and if he comes with an estate, even better.

Olivier as Max
Hold up...before you men start to like me better...my dysfunctional heart belongs to dapper mysterious Jay Gatsby (who is essentially Heathcliff in the 1920s) and Max deWinter (Darcy and Rochester in the 1930s).  I guess brooding, infatuation, drama, game playing, etc are what makes us attracted to these novels and long for the crazy romance and effed up men.

Hit me with your thoughts...


love,
kris

No comments:

Post a Comment