Friday 5 October 2012

A Short Kind of Death

dear readers,

Earlier last year I had a bit of a heartbreak...okay, it was a utter devastation.  My Kobo died.  It is a bit difficult to speak of - hence my silence for the past weeks and lack of books being read.  I woke up one gray Friday morning with excitement to continue reading Second Chance Pass (a Virgin River book) and turned on my Kobo. It blinked to the homepage and my heart fluttered...and when I lovingly tapped on the cover of Second Chance Pass...nothing happened.  I tapped firmly with love...nothing.  I tapped twice with less love in my heart...uh...nothing.  I repeated tapped with tough love...there may have been tears shed at this point - I can't really say.  I turned it to sleep mode...and gently woke it up. More tapping. I turned him off and then back on...even more tapping. Silent scream.  This was just too much for the morning.  Breathe.  I turned it off and went to get ready
Let's just say I went to work not a happy camper.  I came home revived my Kobo...nothing!!!  I reset it, restored, and googled for any other option short of taking a hammer to it. Let's just say Kobo slept on the couch that night.
Saturday...
PANIC!!!  Calling Kobo.
"Help, my Kobo will not let me read."
"Thank you for calling Kobo.  I'm Marie how may I help you?"
"MY KOBO IS NOT WORKING AND THERFORE I AM IN HELL."
"I am sorry to hear that..."
"YES! I am very sorry to hear myself...I have resetted, restored and re-everything.  It won't do anything!!!"
"Well...harrumph, that is what I would have suggested."
"Uh huh...well, NOW WHAT DO I DO???!!! What do YOU DO??!!!"
Apparently nothing...it took a bleeding week for any response.  Ahem, which might have come because I went on Kobo, Facebook, Chapters to complain.  This caused Kobo to remove their support section from Facebook to a hidden website.  Chapters said they would talk to Kobo.  "Really, Chapters you will take a little looky at Kobo and see my situation?"  That is mighty big of you considering YOU SELL THE DEVICE!!!! For some silly reason I thought you stood behind your products (does the thinking man pose).  I have not visited Chapters since the incident (which is great loss if you see how many books I actually buy).
Of course, all this happens when I start working overtime so was getting home at 7pm from work, and had to wait till the weekend to send it out (on my dime - many dimes).  It reaches there within a day and half and takes 4 days to get back because the ever so brilliant Kobo company sent it to the place I mailed it from instead of MY ADDRESS!  Good to know they read emails :)
My Kobo and I have made up because face it I can not live without him now.  We are trying to rebuild but the trust is just not there.  I don't trust he will always be there for me.  I know I deserve a better device who is reliable and there for my needs but I have invested a lot in Kobo so I will ride it out.  I have never been a cheater (except on diets) but (embarrassed grimace) I've thought about it.  Sometimes I dream about a eReader that can fulfill my needs and desires.

love,
kris

No comments:

Post a Comment