Thursday 4 October 2012

Coffee Shops, Grunge Music and Murder - Part II

dear readers,

Last year (2011) I discovered 3 mystery/suspense authors who write about death in Seattle (Washington).  I live in Vancouver, BC so Seattle is not so far away making the killer quite literally next door.

Gregg Olsen writes both fiction (Suspense/Mystery and now Young Adult) and non-fiction (True Crime).  He has appeared on many radio shows and television shows - including 2 of my favourite 48 Hours and Dateline.
Okay I lied about this one...I thought I read Gregg Olsen this year, but it appears I read him in 2010.  I discovered him as I was looking up authors who wrote suspense thrillers and I recognized his photo from an episode on 48 Hours.  I decided to try one of his suspense novels as he seemed to be an acclaimed writer of True Crime.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/o/gregg-olsen/
A COLD DARK PLACE


3 STARS

 A family is brutally murder and their son has disappeared...Emily Kenyon - a police officer and mother - is in charge of finding the boy and see if he is the murderer.  Jenna, Emily's daughter, also becomes involved and is in fact ahead of the police but soon is in danger herself. There is another family murdered in Iowa and then in Salt Lake City...and Emily is soon on a race to find a killer who may come after daughter.

This was a great suspense thriller set in the Pacific Northwest and it had me from the first page.  Emily is a great heroine and very realistic as a cop and a mother.  It is gritty but not overdone.

HEART OF ICE


3 STARS

There is a killer loose  - 3 murdered victims each taking place somewhere different - and he is cunning.  The only clues the have are the victims common background- sorority sisters who are very privileged women.  What the police do not know is that this will not end until he kills one very particular sorority sister.

I was on pins and needles throughout the novel.  It was well-written and the suspense is crazy to the point I cannot stop reading!


I am now on the hunt for his first novel A Wicked Snow.



NEXT: Coffee Shops, Grunge Music and Murder III (Kevin O'Brien)


love,
kris

No comments:

Post a Comment