Tuesday 16 October 2012

Review: Go Away Book, um Sorry, I Mean Gone Girl

dear readers,

Gone Girl is a bestseller and has been optioned for a movie.

GONE GIRL
Written by Gillian Flynn
genre: mystery, suspense

1.5 STARS

 Nick and Amy meet, fall in love and on their fifth anniversary Amy has disappeared.  When Nick and Amy lose their jobs they leave New York for Nick's hometown to help with his ailing mother.  Nick and his twin, Go borrow the last of Amy's trustfund and set up a bar in order to earn some income.  Amy remains unemployed and unfulfilled and as the novel enfolds we learn just who Amy and Nick really are and what happened to Amy. 

Amy, Nick, Go, and pretty much all the characters are quite unlikeable.  I fact the only one I liked was the cat, Bleeker and I'm so not a cat person.  The disappearance of Amy should have nudged my curiosity enough to finish the book but i found myself really pushing myself to flip the page.  Maybe it is all the true crime shows I watch but I found the plot a bit predictable.  I made it to the end hoping for a ending that would make it all worthwhile but the joy I received was that I could stop forcing myself to read it.

love,
kris

No comments:

Post a Comment