Saturday 11 January 2014

One Novel, Two Reviews

dear readers,

I hope you all had a great week and are having a fabulous start to the weekend.  In Vancouver, BC it is WINDY outside but has finally stopped raining...for now.  Horrible weather for going out today but great weather for reading :)  



I am a re-reader of books. If I love a book I have no problem reading the novel over and over again (some examples: Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Little Women, Outlander, Into the Wilderness).  It is like visiting old friends and recapturing old memories.  I will also reread if I want to continue a series.  Sometimes I will start with Book 1 and then time will go by before I can get to book 2.  By that time I have forgotten keys scenes and characters.  I will then do a skim re-read or full re-read.  Usually I feel the same way about a book and sometimes a little more or less than the first reading...


DARK LOVER
(Black Dagger Brotherhood: Book One)
written by J.R. Ward
genre: paranormal romance, suspense


Darius asks the King of Vampires, Wrath to help his half-breed (half-human/half-vampire)daughter through the transition.  Wrath declines at first but after Darius is murdered by the Lessers he goes straight out to protect her. Even though Wrath has a mate, Marissa he has never felt love for a woman.  Wrath soon finds himself having feelings for the half-human, Beth.  

Beth, a reporter, is drawn to Warth like a moth to a flame but when she discovers who is his and why he first came to her her world is blown away. Can she accept she will be going through a transition and let Wrath help her.

REVIEW 1 (December 17, 2011) 
3 STARS


I liked this novel.  I did not really find Warth attractive and found him to be the Vampire version of Beast (from Beauty and the Beast).  I wish there was more of Butch, the tortured homicide detective.  I was more attracted to him and his romance with Marissa...and plus he a Red Sox fan ;)



REVIEW 2 (January 9, 2014) 
4 STARS

When I first read this novel I liked it but was not wowed.  Two years later, I decided to do a re-read so I could continue the beloved series and whoa I had a totally different reading experience.  I savoured each word and scene and loved the romance of Beth and Wrath.  While I still did not "fall in love" with Wrath I respected him a lot more this reading.

 Butch is still hands down my favourite and I cannot wait to see where the story goes with him...and Marissa.  I also like Tohr and Wellsie and hope we get more on their romance in the future.  Each brother has intrigue and I cannot wait to dig into the rest of the series.



Dark Lover was published 2005 and is avail now.  Eleven books have been published to date in this series with book number 12 coming out this spring (The King).



Most likely you will see more reviews on this series!  

love, 
kris 




No comments:

Post a Comment