Wednesday 27 February 2013

I'm Back




dear readers,

Hi, I am back!  Sorry I have been away for so long but it has been a rough few months for me.  With working kicking my ass, trying to figure out what I am doing in life and then having my Bibi (grandmother) pass away this month has been more than I can take.  I have been reading but it's been up and down for me.  Enough about me now - on with the show...

THE AVIATOR'S WIFE
Written by Melanie Benjamin
genre: literary, historical fiction


3 STARS 

In The Aviator's Wife Anne Lindbergh is reviewing her life from when she meets Charles Lindbergh and their life together.  Anne starts out as the wallflower daughter in between the beauty and wild child.  She attends her mother's alma mater and does as an Ambassador's daughter is expected  Then she meet Charles Lindbergh who is picked out to be her sister's future husband but it is Anne who enjoys his passion for flying.  As the couple marry and Anne enters the public life of a celebrity she realizes she is alone in this marriage and life is not what she expected.  

I had heard of the Lindbergh baby kidnapping and that Charles Lindbergh was a great aviator but none of the personal details.  Benjamin takes time with the kidnapping but does not let it overtake the novel or spend too much time on details.  She let's Anne's heartbreak take the reader inside a mother's grief and how she must deal with it all publicly.  We also get to see the strength of Anne outside of her relationship as an Author and a woman who is her husband's equal in flying. I liked this novel but it was not a page turner or something I was looking forward to reading next. I would recommend Benjamin's earlier novel, The Autobiography of Mrs. Thumb if you are looking for a more engrossing read. 



love,
kris









No comments:

Post a Comment